Monday, June 22, 2009

College Con Artistry

We all know private schools enjoy ripping its students off, but here's a story I'd like to share...

So I recently got charged $25 for "room damage." I suppose most people wouldn't think much of it and just pay the fee, but of course that's not acceptable for me (or my roommate). I finally had time to call the housing office today and inquire about the charge, and this is basically how things went:

The secretary says, "So the $25 fee was from a furniture moving charge between you and your roommate for leaving an air conditioner in your dorm."

Without realizing, in a completely bewildered yet skeptical tone I simply reply, " ... an air conditioner??"

She immediately puts me on hold for ten to fifteen seconds.

When she returns she tells me, "Okay, the $25 has been credited to your account."

I was quite confused. That was it? No arguing? The charge was revoked just like that?

I thank her and then report what happened to my roommate.

But yeah, not a very good story but I found the incident rather intriguing. I sincerely hope this was an honest mistake and not a sad attempt to extract more money from BU students. Even so, you have to admit that it was a pretty shitty mistake to make on their part.

No comments: