Friday, May 29, 2009

Slightly Grown Up

So I had to go to work alone today for a meeting since FatMan skipped out for training for his new CUTCO job (I apparently have a few friends who are selling knives now). To be honest, due to various circumstances this was actually my first time driving with no passengers, so I was somewhat paranoid, but I obviously made it through okay and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, it was somewhat empowering being able to control where to go and when to leave. Driving to work and back, making sure everyone had a ride--it's long overdue, but I actually felt somewhat more grown up doing those things, haha.

Anyway, the meeting was as expected. It was good to see the old interns (and by "old" I mean the ones I've met, since I'm one of the oldest interns working there now--scary). They gave me a warm welcome and asked me how college was. The new interns seem nice too... for the most part (according to a trusted friend/coworker, but maybe I should wait to see for myself before letting bias get the best of me). They seem like they'll be competent though, so hopefully this summer will run much smoother than my experiences these past years.

It definitely seems like there's going to be a little more discipline this summer though, not that the prospect of that stopped everyone from screwing around last summer, but honestly the lab could probably use some of it. It should be better this time around though, since the new interns seem like they'll take things more seriously and, not to be conceited or whatever, but I'll be one of the people in charge. As a "college intern," I actually have the authority now to ensure that everyone gets everything done, and I don't have to feel bad or wonder if it's my place to put people in line. I don't think there should be a problem though. Last year, I feel like no one listened to the college intern because he was a stranger to almost everyone (he was very old, and all the interns that would have bridged the age gap didn't return). This year, there's three of us, and we've all worked together before during the year as high school interns, so it should be fine... hopefully.

Oh well. We're just going to have to wait and see. It's my last summer there anyway, so regardless I'm just going to have to make the best of it.

No comments: