Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Izzy Goes To NY

So Izzy left today to spend the rest of her spring break in Florida. This leaves me alone in the house now, though I never was one to mind having good, quality alone time, which is definitely nice after so much running about.

On Saturday, Izzy and I took the LIRR into the city. After lunch, we took some time to explore midtown and just relax in Central Park before heading uptown to Columbia's campus and then downtown, where we walked through SoHo to get to Little Italy for dinner and dessert. (So yes, I was basically dragged through several parts of Manhattan.)

On Sunday, I drove to the local beach which I was delighted to find open (which was, of course, after I was delighted to find that after several months I still knew how to drive). We walked all the way to the end of the private beach and back, and along the way we actually came across a few conches. In fact, Izzy and I accidentally traumatized one that was actually still alive in an attempt to confirm that fact. After a good ten minutes though, I finally realized that it was slowly withdrawing itself further into its shell after prodding it with the rim of a broken clam shell. After realizing it was alive though, I wasn't sure what to do with it so I set it between the waves and the shore, hoping to let it decide itself where to go. I just hope it didn't get eaten. Izzy and I did find a nice empty conch shell though, which we did take despite what they say about not removing stuff from the beach. I really wanted Izzy to have a "souvenir" to take back, although she insisted on having joint ownership of the shell. (Let's just hope nothing ends in a Lord of the Flies-esque way.)

Anyway, I also took Izzy to see my school, after which we stopped for ice cream at Carvel. Then we watched American Pie (on VHS!) before heading out with Loo to see Confessions of a Shopaholic, which due to current circumstances I admit I enjoyed WAY WAY WAY too much. (It's nothing but a typical chick flick to be perfectly honest, but the cutesy relationship between the protagonist and the "flawless guy" was too self-satisfying to resist.)

Then yesterday, apart from a somewhat pointless trip to the doctor (during which after five seconds of feeling my knuckle, he deemed my hand would be fine in a month or so), we stayed at home and watched TV the entire day. We ordered takeout and sushi for dinner, and then Kait (which will now be her name, since I can't remember if I ever assigned one to her before) came over to join us. And that's how it all winded down.

Regardless of the fact that I haven't started any work, at least I've seen my friends and can say that I've stepped out of the house this break. In other words, I think I've still been very productive. Let's just hope I do get that work done though.

No comments: