Friday, January 16, 2009

Spring Term

So I successfully got through my first week of the semester and fortunately I'm able to report back favorably about all my classes.

My anthropology class seems like it's going to be fun. My professor is hilarious. On the first day, he asked us how many of us "like free crap" and then, what do you know, he takes out a manila envelope with "FREE CRAP" written on it and a list of students chosen randomly to answer a question and receive something from the envelope (which contained a highlighter, a book, various bonus points, a Nature Valley granola bar with a Sacajawea dollar taped on the back, and money from Madagascar worth approximately 48 cents, which is of course what I personally wanted). Then today, he had a very interesting powerpoint presentation which at one point culminated in something with Yoda and lightsabers and "Furbys deflecting off the lack of sobriety of Amy Winehouse" or something to that effect. Class definitely flew by. But even from an educational standpoint, I think I might like what anthropology has to offer. It seems like the perfect blend of science and the humanities, exactly what I like... except an anthropology major may be one of the few things more useless than an English major. Hah... I guess we'll see what happens.

Anyway, that was my only class on Wednesday since my math and anthropology discussions were both cancelled this week--though it is my only class on Mondays and Fridays, which I have to say feels REALLY nice. Of course, that means my Tuesdays and Thursday are hell, and indeed:

My math class starts my Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8 AM. My cousin Saa is also taking the class with me, but we're both pretty vulnerable to the lure of sweet slumber. Anyway, it seems like a pretty straightforward class. My professor seems pretty straightforward too and very fair. The material isn't at all bad [yet?] (the topic was inequalities on Thursday) and I actually kind of liked the way he taught it. He seems like a really nice guy, and even though he tries to crack a few corny jokes, I appreciate his effort to be somewhat interesting.

Directly after that I have my history class, which is an honors seminar itself so fortunately I don't have to commit any extra class time to it. The first class on Thursday was deathly boring, but he said that would be the only time he would speak for the entire period. It seems like there's going to be a decent amount of work in the class, but if the topics are as interesting as I think they are then I don't think I'll mind. My professor appears to be a really nice person too. I was walking toward the classroom and he was coming from the opposite direction, and even though he hadn't met me yet he still smiled. He also has this "I'm here to learn too" kind of approach to class so I think it'll go well.

After that, I have a 90 minute break before heading off to the College of Fine Arts building for my--drumroll--acting class! I admit that it was a pretty impulsive move on my part; I signed up for it the day before. But I'm kind of glad I did it! So far it's really relaxing and seems like it's going to be a lot of fun. Plus, as an added bonus, there are actually guys in this class (you don't understand the plight of female students at BU).

After that, I have another 90 minute break (yeah, I wasted a lot of time yesterday) before I finally ended the day with my English class. I actually got there pretty early since I got tired of waiting around in random places, but I got to meet someone since she was there early too. We got to chat for quite a bit, which was nice, but once class started it was horribly boring. The professor seems slightly authoritative too, which worries me somewhat, and in fact this may be the one negative thing I have to say about my schedule. But I'm hoping that was just a bad impression and that it will get more interesting as time goes on.

So yes, that's basically how my Tuesdays and Thursdays are going to be run, from 8 AM to 5 PM. If you didn't notice, I am indeed overloading, but I really wanted to take that acting class and there isn't so much extra work (plus it satisfies requirements if I do decide to major/minor in film... yes, I'm thinking THAT ahead of the game).

I just hope I'm not getting myself in over my head, especially since I don't know how heavy my coursework is really going to be. Aside from the FreeP (which can easily take up any time I have at night), I still have commitments to PHE for which I still have to attend weekly one/two-hour meetings and teach during the day several times a month. I'm also really interested in becoming a Dean's Host and a Freshman Resource Advisor, but of course whether I actually get those positions isn't up to me.

Ah, but I do feel energized. I like being busy and productive, at least for now. And I'm excited to meet new people.

And to clarify about the guys, I have one on my history class and two in my English class, which is depressing because you have to admit that they're usually the ones that make class fun and spontaneous. But this dilemma doesn't just apply to me, which leads all of us women to question where they could possibly be hiding.

In fact, that's why in response, at the start of my drama class I mentally exclaimed, "Here they are! I found them!"

...which is also funny because, as my roommate pointed out, our hallmates' number one New Year's resolution was to, quote, "Find men."

...and which became even funnier when my roommate and I subsequently decided to tape a sign to their door that said, "I FOUND MEN!"

...and which became super-funny because they actually liked it and decided to leave it up on their door.

And there you go.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We're hiding in ENG and in computer science :-\ .