Monday, December 29, 2008

Twilight

Okay, so I finally saw the movie. Loo and I went for the sheer purpose of "staying informed" since she too is plagued by the cries of hardcore fangirls. And I must admit...

It was everything I expected it to be.

And much less.

But it's great because now I feel that my criticisms are justified. Book fans, I hope for your sake that the movie was not an accurate depiction, lest people think that you've lost your wits.

Oh, too late. Oops.

Okay, okay. I'm done being mean. But seriously, I still can't understand why people think Twilight (at least the movie) is so great.

Is it Rob Pattinson? Because honestly, I didn't find him all that attractive in the movie. In some of the promo pics? Yeah okay, maybe. But I've always found him very scruffy-looking, even in this movie.

The character Edward Cullen? I had to stop myself from laughing during the movie because he seems like such a creeper. "I like to watch you sleep." Haha. Oh, and the sparkly skin was great too.

The storyline? Um, what story? Girl moves to new place. Guy lives in said place. Guy acts weird. Girl is weirded out. Guy happens to be drawn to her. Girl suddenly (and by "suddenly" I do really mean "all of a sudden") gets drawn to him. Oh and then evil shows up, evil is defeated. And there you go.

I mean, seriously? I can make fun of how cliche the characters' names are, but that would be too easy. I hope the actors really do just suck because if not, the characters themselves really are just two-dimensional. Neither has much personality. Bella is this clumsy, emo child with no talents at all. Edward is supposed to be this suave, charming person who for no real reason is drawn to Bella. And therefore, it's even less comprehensible why Bella falls in love with Edward in the first place! Even the conflict in the story is horribly boring. James wants Bella. James hunts Bella. The Cullens kill James. Wow. How utterly utterly exciting.

I at least expected the cinemotography to be good, but I found it mediocre. I was also getting dizzy as I was watching, but I'm going to blame that on the small theatre in which I watched it in an admittedly poor attempt to not be a complete bitch about this. But seriously, I'm sad to report that Catherine Hardwicke's recognition from having the biggest opening ever for a female director truly is undeserved, the product of an already loyal fanbase and not a true testament of her skill.

But in an attempt to be positive, first I must say that I found the character Alice to be quite delightful. Second, in terms of eye candy, I think I enjoyed the character Carlisle the most. And third, I really did find the natural beauty of Washington to be quite captivating.

Other than that though I can't say much else. I would say that I'm disappointed in the movie, but my expectations already were at rock bottom.

Okay, okay. That's all, I promise. I sincerely apologize. I'm done being mean. For real this time.

No comments: