Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Freshman Fall Beginnings: Part I

So today was... interesting. I had Physics and Calculus today and they weren't anything like I imagined.

I mean, I knew Physics was going to be a lot different from what I encountered in high school, but today was just review and I was still having trouble understanding what was going on. I rewrote my notes, so I realize now that it actually isn't bad at all, but I don't want to have to sit through class feeling like a moron. And it doesn't help that there are those kids who are just way too overeager to participate. Seriously, there was an equation on the board and kids seemed to be rushing to beat each other. One person called out the answer, a smile on her face - and oh with such confidence! I almost laughed out loud when the professor flatly said to her, "No."

Then I have Calculus immediately after so I was a little late. Of course the professor already started speaking about the syllabus so I'm already a little lost when it comes to what the homework assignments are and such. We covered limits today, and I'm not sure if I don't know it or if I learned it two years ago and just forgot it. Either way, especially after expecting to recognize everything, I was a little flustered to find myself not fully understanding the material at hand. But it's not something I'm going to worry about right now... according to the rules of my physics class, I might need to find an alternative math class to take anyway.

Looking beyond that though, I suppose my day was actually pretty enjoyable. The two professors I had so far both seem really nice. I had breakfast with a girl I met at Orientation. Then I met a girl in my Physics class and she seems pretty cool. Since I came late to Calc, I didn't really get the chance to make friends there, but the RAs held a dinner thing for all the freshmen in my dorm building so I finally got to see and meet them. Acquaintances were made, but some of them definitely stuck, so I'm happy to have experienced that.

In other news, there was apparently an "abandoned package" threat while I was in class (good to know that I got the warning to stay away from the area after it happened), and for some reason the fire alarm went off in my dorm building. (If I may quote the wise words of an upperclassman, "Guys, back away from the building... BU doesn't conduct drills." Well at least I know from this point on that if I ever hear the alarm go off, I should probably take it more seriously than I usually have in the past...)

No comments: