Thursday, May 29, 2008

Because Karma Needs a Vacation Too

So according to karma (or at least my way of looking at the world), since I had such a fun time last night, I was supposed to suffer miserably today as retribution. And reflecting back, judging from what lay ahead of me at the time, it really did seem like I would be screwed for sure. But alas, such misery was actually absent from my day, and the day proceeded forward even better than what can normally be expected. So this leads me to ask, "Where in the world did karma go?"

EXAMPLE ONE: I stayed out late last night and (combined with the usual procrastination) thus didn't study for my A.P. Calc quiz, which just happened to be on the topic I understand least. I did plan to wake up early to finish the review sheet, but of course that never works and I ended up waking up later than I wanted and not studying at all.

WHAT SHOULD'VE HAPPENED: I would have taken the quiz and gotten a not-so-awesome grade on it. (Oh, by the way, they're potentially worth 33.3% of my fourth quarter grade each... hefty, I know.) Although my teacher was going to drop the lowest grade of the four quizzes anyway, I had no idea what I got on the others and therefore would not have taken any chances.

WHAT DID HAPPEN: Even though I was almost done with the quiz anyway, it turns out that I didn't have to take it because I aced the first three. (Turns out I would have gotten at least one wrong on this quiz too.) Score!

EXAMPLE TWO: Naturally, I also failed to study for my A.P. Bio final that was scheduled for today.

WHAT SHOULD'VE HAPPENED: I would have taken the final and potentially and probably failed.

WHAT DID HAPPEN: He skipped school... my teacher, that is. So no final (at least not until tomorrow, and of course that's not going to make any difference).

EXAMPLE THREE: We had NYSSMA Majors after school.

WHAT SHOULD'VE HAPPENED: I/The band would have messed up so badly that it would screw everyone over.

WHAT DID HAPPEN: Well, there was actually one note my teacher told the flutes to cross out and not play due to intonation issues, but I didn't have a pencil at the time so I couldn't do it. It was horrible. I was the only floutist (as we call ourselves) who played the single note with the band and I'm sure it was horribly out of tune. Of course, aside from that, even though we got Bronze (I know what you're thinking, but Bronze is the lowest possible grade), we still played our best and it was fun.

BONUS SITUATION: Plus, my gym class went climbing today on this huge wooden structure. "The Element," as it is called, challenges climbers to move up along its ropes, tires, wooden blocks, and beams. It's pretty sick, and I got to go first... twice. (I know I'm lame.)

Anyway, today I also decided to attend the Thespian Society Inductions and the One-Act Play Festival that follows. So after we got back from NYSSMA Majors, I didn't think it was worth it to go home and so I walked into the main part of town to find some dinner. It was, I suppose, appropriately but extremely warm outside, which would have been nice were I sitting down somewhere in the shade, but instead I was walking in jeans and a black shirt with my [increasingly heavy] bag slung over my shoulder and another [burdensome] bag of clothes and shoes in my hand. It also didn't help that after actually arriving, the Subway store I entered was like a little oven. Then I had to make the trek back to school, although I must say that I was quite proud of myself for actually completing the journey (I know, I'm THAT out-of-shape). I tried to think positively when I got back, saying to myself that I probably burned some calories, but after I ate my sandwich, there were refreshments outside the auditorium and I ate a whole donut. Oh well.

In my humble opinion, the One-Act Festival was sort of boring (and I was getting annoyed with this woman near me who had this uncontrollable, nonstop laugh, especially since I didn't find most of what she was laughing about that funny at all), but at least the last few things I thought were very good. I thought the last monologue was very creative (it was the only one I really enjoyed), and BrownMan's one-act was very entertaining (as promised and expected).

While it was fun though, I'm still very sleep deprived. If karma needs a rest, then I certainly need one too.

No comments: