Sunday, March 30, 2008

Good Student, Smart Student

So even though this has been glaringly obvious in all our lives, the thought of putting it into words has only just popped into my mind. What I'm referring to is the idea of being a good student and the idea of being a smart student. Really, all it really comes down to is having street smarts or having book smarts, but I thought I'd apply it to a strictly school setting.

I mean honestly...

In Math:
The good student finds answers in order to figure out hard problems on his/her own.
The smart student finds answers... and is done.

In Science:
The good student actually carries out a science project.
The smart student actually realizes that school science fairs mean sh**, and that forging data is perfectly fine since it's not a legit contest anyway. (Yet he/she will then win the fair altogether.)

In History:
The good student writes his/her essay about actual facts.
The smart student writes his/her essay about total BS since he/she realizes that it's all the same anyway. (Yet he/she will still get a perfect score.)

And of course, the classic...

In English:
The good student reads the book.
The smart student reads Sparknotes.

"Because any book that's 300 pages long and can be summed up in 5 pages is obviously not worth reading." - Physics Teacher

Honestly! If school has taught me anything, it's that you need to learn how to cut corners and/or BS things in life. The goal is no longer to learn (how can anyone do so under such demanding and stressful standards?), but rather to simply get through things, and that's EXACTLY what BSing things allows a person to do. If it's a matter of choosing, I'd rather be the smart student since life seems to have proven that both people end up in the same place anyway.

Yet still I work hard, still I perfect things, and still I struggle... I must really like stressing myself out after all.

No comments: