Sunday, March 2, 2008

Closing Doors

While procrastinating, I found a very interesting article about how people have the tendency to keep too many options open in life. This hit off on me immediately, but I think everyone should have a look at it him or herself as well.

Before you read, play this game first.

Then you may proceed to the article.

And don't cheat by doing it vice versa (like I did). It's probably [definitely] more enlightening if you don't know what's going on.

But anyway, I feel compelled to take these findings to heart. Even though I've always tried to be a well-rounded person for my own sake and in admiration of Benjamin Franklin (yes, I am a dork), I have previously realized myself that my life is really quite impractical in the scheme of things. I don't know how realistically I can force myself to concentrate on, oh let's say, writing, but maybe I should really try to give it a shot. I've complained and complained that everything I do never comes to fruition, and I even knew why, but I've never done anything about it before. So maybe, just maybe, I should take this as a sign and take charge of my life now, before it's too late.

I think I might buy this book, Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. Even though I still have to read Susan Jacoby's The Age of American Unreason which I bought last week (and Voltaire's Candide which I decided on for my recently assigned research paper), I'm really quite curious about the content of Ariely's book.

Or maybe I'm just desperate for some serious enlightenment.

No comments: