Sunday, January 6, 2008

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Even though this has been out for two weeks now...


I'll give you two circumstances under which you should see this film:


1) If you liked the first one AND can call yourself a fan.
2) If you're bored.

Why? Because honestly, it's a lot like the first movie. Too alike, and overall even worse. Whereas the first movie was actually rather exciting (in my opinion anyway), this one is lacking in many areas.

PLOT: While perhaps it's a bit more noble this time, the storyline still revolves around Benjamin Franklin Gates (Nicholas Cage) and his attempt to clear his family name. A little boring, no? What was even more annoying though was that the FBI realizes there's something fishy going on with the antagonist, but the realization doesn't even matter. What's the point in having your integrity restored if no one is even there to help you?

STORY: As for the story itself, there really isn't anything special about it this time. By this point, the viewers are used to the characters finding and following little clues, and the movie fails to keep the audience on their toes (probably because its lacking the idea of a chase). Despite expanding to an international scale, it is only to a certain extent and the new scenery hardly offers anything truly exciting to the film. Furthermore, I've found that there's quite a lot of distractions in this movie. The actions scenes were a bit too much honestly, and I think the intensity of those few scenes is simply way too great for a movie like this. While it does make decent eye candy, one cannot help but think it pointless and overboard. Also, love between the main characters is okay, but extending that to the protagonist's parents? Actually, I take that back. The relationship between the main characters wasn't even sweet this time around (and like the rest of the movie fails to satisfy the viewer's questions and expectations).

CHARACTERS: Well, I do like the cast. I think they perform wonderfully with each other. Personally, I think Riley Poole (Justin Bartha) could have used a bit more screen time as I think the movie could have used a bit more humor, but I do like the cast when they're together. The villain isn't as fun this time around though. In fact, he invokes a bit of sympathy eventually, which really doesn't do the movie much good in the end.

THE END: Unsatisfying, I must say. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but honestly, there isn't much to spoil. While I wouldn't go as far to say that it's disappointing, it's hardly as exciting and heart-wrenching as the first movie. Riley gets a nice surprise at the end though.

Despite all these setbacks, however, I think this movie is entertaining enough for the bored moviegoer. It desperately lacks closure and the entire movie is laden with used but open-ended plot devices (and can I smell a sequel?), but if you don't care, then maybe this is the movie for you. All I can say is... just don't expect too much.

Rating: 3/5

Picture copyright (c) Disney and whoever else is involved.

No comments: