Monday, January 7, 2008

Pinnacles of Perfection

As I sat there I realized that I had never seen this before.

I concentrated on the task at hand, but it was difficult to ignore their presence, especially their presence together. As the three of us casually worked by slipping small glass beads into small plastic tubes, their differences became clear.

"Yeah, it's a weird major. I don't really do science anymore. What about you?"

"Biology, molecular and cell. Basic pre-med track."

"Yeah, I don't know. I guess I was just really involved when I was in school."

"I was the complete opposite. When I was in high school I didn't do anything."

Despite being the same age, it became clear that the two really did not know each other, and it felt strange. Sitting there with both of them cast me as a mediator. They seemed to be getting along, but it was amazing how different they were. Or rather, to me, it was amazing how I could admire such different people.

Relaxed. Preppy. An all-American girl.

Spirited. Trendy. Russian by birth.

They pursued different things, both during high school and after, academically and socially. The way they lived their lives was incredibly different. Even the way they spoke was different, one tone peppered with somewhat ditzy mannerisms and the other tinged with a gentle foreign accent.

But I admired both of them. While both were kind, smart, and well-liked, I admired one for her intelligence, athleticism, and sense of civic duty, and the other for her inviting demeanor, gorgeous smile, and sharp fashion sense.

Yet somehow, both seemed to personify perfection. While I have known one for a significantly longer time, I have looked up to both of them since the day we each met. But is that even possible to admire two people for being seemingly perfect? Perfection may exist in the eye of the beholder, but can the beholder have two different views on the matter? I wonder...

What is perfection?

Or does perfection not exist at all?

No comments: