Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Smell of Smoke

So I wake up this morning, open my bedroom door, walk to the bathroom, and suddenly the smell of smoke hits me right in the face. Worried, I follow the scent to the kitchen, where it is slightly stronger but not by much. I check the appliances, but nothing is on, and nothing seems charred. I call my father to ask if he knows anything about it, and he tells me that he turned off the stove at 3 AM after my mother had left it on and fallen asleep.

Hanging up, I then thought, "Wow, I could have died last night."

Thanks, Mom.

Then later I get a piercing headache, maybe from the essays I was writing, but more likely from the smell, which was dissipating through my house despite leaving the kitchen windows open. So then I fell asleep again despite sleeping for 12 straight hours last night. After waking from my nap and returning from my piano lesson though, I then realize that the carbon monoxide detector is gone. My father asks my brother if he took it for himself, and being the selfish bastard he is he says yes.

I then thought, "Wow, I could have died at any time."

Thanks, Brother.

At least my father decided to have some fun with it...

"You should have heard your mom this morning. She ran out of the room into the kitchen panicking to turn off the stove. I turned it off already, but I was just pretending to sleep to see her reaction."

Wow, Dad. Wow.

No comments: