Sunday, September 2, 2007

College Trip

So I went up to New England for the weekend to visit a few colleges, which was a very interesting experience. Since I'm consciously procrastinating on my work for Intel though (which, by the way, is due in a few days), I'm going to recap everything since Friday (so prepare yourself).

Friday was the last day, so my grad student took my undergrad and me to a place called Hoshi. It sells sushi, but for once I decided to be a little less boring and seized the opportunity to order Una-don (eel on rice), which probably sounds pretty gross, but to be honest it was rather delicious (minus all the decorative crap on the side).

I wasn't expecting to separate directly after lunch though, so I had to leave their Thank You gifts (a box of Godiva Summer Collection Truffles and a Simon gift card for her, and a Starbucks gift card for him) on my grad student's shelf. I left them out of direct view and her desk is in a password-protected office, so hopefully they won't disappear before they see them. Haha...

Anyway, I left directly from Stony Brook to pick up my friend in Whitestone, and then we set off for Maine. It pretty much took the rest of the day, and we finally got there at 11:30 at night, which means, much to my dismay, that my Maine lobster dinner was substituted by a BigMac.

BOWDOIN: Saturday morning we visited Bowdoin College though, which was unexpectedly nice. The tour was helpful, and the guide was actually very cool. As an added plus, my friend had a friend who was a student there, so he was able to show us around too. Anyway, in case you're interested, the campus is cozy (which means that it's small, but I like that), and the people are really nice. Also, even though I didn't try it, it's food is ranked #1 in the country, which, in my opinion, is awesome. Haha... but even the food outside is really good. My friend's friend took us to a place nearby, and the ham panini I had was one of the most delicious things I had ever tasted. So even though I didn't get to try some famous Maine lobster, I was very satisfied with this leg of the trip.

DARTMOUTH: So around 2 PM, we bid farewell to my friend's friend and left for New Hampshire. We got there in excellent time (around 5 PM), and took a look around Dartmouth College. Let's just say it was nice, but not quite my style (though my friend was ecstatic). After walking around for a couple of hours though, we were famished, and decided to leave.

After checking into the hotel, we went to a place called "Three Tomatoes" to eat. I had Calamari in White Sauce over Penne, which was delicious, though the service was a bit slow. When we were done, we checked back in the hotel and went for a swim in the pool, though we got kicked out at 10:30. An hour or so later, this was followed by my friend's bright idea of a "Cookie Run," which was stupid enough, not to mention she went on a recording spree with a camera even after the "mission" was accomplished. Figures that the next morning, I'd literally have to kick her out of bed so we wouldn't be late.

WESLEYAN: Anyway, after going through the ordeal of finally getting her out of bed, we ate breakfast and then left for Connecticut to go visit Wesleyan University. We went on the 1:00 tour, which successfully managed to make me want to run away... BADLY. In fact, I don't remember the last time I was so weirded out. The campus was rather ugly, the kids were weird, and it seemed like everything really sucks there. The tour especially turned me off from the start since neither of the guides were science majors (they gave us the choice of going with the person who was majoring in the subject we were interested in), and even the people I was with made me think, "Oh my god, this college interests these sorts of people?" Anyway, I ended up just losing interest in the tour, and my friend and I were staying merely to be polite. When it was over, we bolted to the car and sped off campus.

So after eating lunch at a Ruby Tuesdays (I had their mini-burgers, which was good but made me feel guilty... haha), we departed back home for good old New York. I dropped my friend off around 5:45 PM, and finally went home.

So all in all, I suppose it was a good trip. Despite the fact that I was more disappointed than pleased and I ate so much more than I would have just staying home, I had fun with my friend and it made me realize which colleges NOT to apply to, which in a sense, means that I was successful in my travels... I guess.

No comments: