Saturday, August 25, 2007

Rotten Apple

Well today was a rather irritable day. It wasn't that it was even a bad day; there were just people making things so... annoying.

First I had a doctor's appointment, which was probably the worst part of my day. My parents were naggy and pissy the entire morning due to various things, and I was getting quite pissed off myself because quite frankly, I can't tolerate loud noises, especially in the morning. Not to mention they were clearly blaming me for everything, even though I wasn't informed of anything in the first place. Oh, and as an added bonus, I was really, really, rather extremely hungry because my mother told me to fast the night before in case I had to have my blood taken (which didn't happen).

Also, while I was there, the nurse was pissing me off too because she was being really loud about my urine sample, and of course, my mother is laughing with her like an idiot because she lacks self-control and awareness in that regard. If the waiting area wasn't empty I think I would have killed someone, though there's always the possibility that the people in the other room could hear the nurse's flamboyant voice.

Then as we're leaving, my mother gets pissed because she planned (without my knowledge, of course) to go straight to Flushing without returning home, and I didn't bring the things I needed. She proceeds to scream at me, saying that she asked me this morning if I had everything I needed, to which I specifically replied, "Yes. For the doctor's appointment."

Next, when we were finally in Flushing, to my utter horror, I find my godforsaken uncle out of rehab and simply hanging about my mother's office. Why a bum with no life insists on showing up out of nowhere and interfering with business I haven't a clue. Plus, the moocher really thinks he can pretend nothing ever happened and be happy and carefree while his siblings have to take care of him. In fact, I bet he was all too happy to get a free lunch from us. I mean, it's a little different when you tell people you're going to show up so that they can prepare something for you, but just barging in without invitation is just plain rude. Ugh, it disgusts me.

Thank goodness my father was just as eager to leave as I was though so that I didn't even have to say more that five words to him. It was 1 PM, and my father decided to drive me to my workplace so I could pick up that job application I told you about in my previous post. Much to my dismay (or more appropriately, extreme outrage) though, I find the place closed, despite the fact that they specifically said that they would be open on Saturday, and that I could pick it up then. Why they were closed so early is beyond me, but this whole ordeal is really starting to seriously piss me off.

Sigh... but since I had the whole afternoon I decided to visit Columbia University on a whim, which actually cheered me up greatly. I was surprised to see how nice the campus was, and even though it's compact, I think I like it better that way.

In fact, I think there's something about NYC in general that's comforting. Somehow, the dirty streets, selfish attitudes, and the stiff cynicism in the air I feel are what makes this city truly urban. Indeed, if I'm lucky, I might just be able to call this place home.

No comments: