Thursday, August 23, 2007

Out of a Job

So after waking up in a rather jovial mood and quite pleased with myself (I slept in until 2), I called my employer today to let them know I was interested in working again in the fall, as I had taken the summer off in order to fulfill my research requirements at Stony Brook.

I was very relaxed. I even had a smile on when I called. See, I was under the impression since the day I left in June that many people would leave after the summer and that there would be plenty of openings in the fall, which was what happened last year.

Well, let's just say the call didn't go too well.

One of the ladies at the information desks picks up...

"Um... hi. I was wondering if [my boss] was there?"
"Oh! She hasn't been here all summer! She's had her second child. It's a boy."
"Oh, already? That's wonderful!"
[It continues.]
"Yes, yes... hold on, maybe S-- can talk to you!"

After being put on hold...

"Ah, yes. I was just calling to let you know that I was interested in coming back in the fall?"
"Oh. We actually have enough TAs already, but you can still apply."
"You mean I need to reapply?"

After being put on hold again, another voice picks up...

"Oh, yeah, sorry. A lot of people decided to stay for the fall and they've got priority. You can still pick up an application though."

---

So basically, I'm out of a job, and it might be permanent this time. While I'm still heartily welcomed at the lab...

Me: "Oh, I might come back during the school year..."
Intern Director: [Nodding rather desperately.] "Oh yes, please do."

... the earliest I'll be able to start is mid-October. Plus, I'm not sure how wonderful an idea it is to take an after school job with the level of courses I'm taking, not to mention I've got college applications to fill out and major science competitions to prepare for. I'd also like to learn how to drive sometime so that I don't have to wait until college to be able to do so legally.

Ugh, but I really want a job. Spending money is so much more difficult when you haven't got a steady flow of cash coming to balance it out (I once again felt the pinch in my pocket today at the Cheesecake Factory). I can't get a "normal" job though, as it's rather difficult and troublesome to rely on someone else for transportation (and I hate bothering people unnecessarily).

Ugh, what a terrible feeling. It's almost like coming back from a vacation and your boss telling you that he doesn't need you anymore. You know, I can't imagine getting fired from a real job in the future, even though that's almost basically what just happened.

Anyway, as I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to that prep school and everyone in it (plus I don't seem to have any other job options), I am picking up the application on Saturday. Sigh... wish me luck.

P.S. The Banana Cream Cheesecake is GOOD. (Perfectly light and perfectly sweet... I highly recommend it.)

No comments: