Monday, January 19, 2009

Out and About

Happy MLK Jr. Day.

But aside from that, I must say that I had a very good weekend.

So I spent much of Friday with Izzy. After my one class on Friday (again, it's amazing), I had lunch with her at the GSU and then we hung out again at night.

On Saturday, Izzy and I decided to go to Boston Commons to go ice skating [outdoors]. It was definitely an experience, but unless I had my own skates (theirs were horribly deformed) I probably wouldn't go again. Boston Commons is still very pretty in the winter though. And for memory sake, I'm recording this exchange between Izzy and I here:

"Boston Commons is good place to take a cute dog."
"Or a cute boy."
"They're interchangeable."

Don't mind us.

Anyway, prior to going, I had to stop by the Boston Public Library to make photocopies of this book since a) after two weeks I've yet to receive my copy in the mail, b) people in my class borrowed all the available copies in the immediate area, and c) the one library that did have a circulating copy closes at the obnoxious time of 3 PM (isn't 5 PM the universal closing time??). And when I got to this main branch, I had to go through this strange process in order to get the book too, and the photocopies ended up costing me $7.50, which cancels out about half the money I should have saved by ordering it from an individual seller. Ugh, people.

And what was more upsetting was that Izzy couldn't find any of the books she was looking for either because they had all been withdrawn. Even when I tried suggesting to her one of my favorites, A Separate Peace, we discovered that the library doesn't even have its own copy!

Of course, not relenting we then went on a hunt to find it. We stopped by a Borders on the way to Boston Commons so that she could perhaps find a copy and I could browse the moleskine journals. Funnily enough, all we came out with was a mini tinsel Christmas tree that was purchased [by me] for a measly two bucks (hooray for after-holiday sales, and now my roommate and I finally have that long desired tree).

But still not relenting, after ice skating and dinner at Rhett's, we headed to the library (I know it was a Saturday night) to look for these elusive books. And alas, even in the many [eerie] levels of Mugar, we still could not find a copy of A Separate Peace despite it appearing in the database. When we asked, the lady replied that someone may have just taken it, and she directed us to a room full of books where she said we could check. Although we didn't find it, the room was full of literary classics, every notable author you would immediately think of, and Izzy ended up leaving satisfied with the one David Sedaris book she had not yet read and myself with Jane Austen's Emma and "Gilgamesh," a play. While Izzy was more upset at the fact that I was leaving with two books and herself one, I was more bemused by the fact that she managed to force me into taking out books in the first place! Not to say I'm adverse to good reading, it's just not one of my priorities at the moment.

Anyway, the failed trip to Borders still left me without a journal so we decided that we would visit Harvard Square. Of course, it snowed on Sunday, so we ended up delaying our trip, but I thoroughly enjoyed trudging through the snow, first on Comm Ave to meet Izzy for lunch at Warren and then back to the dorm via Bay State Road. You'd think I'd be sick of snow, but I really thought it was quite marvelous yesterday, so I took pictures to remember and enjoy later.

Of course, I took plenty of pictures today too, first during a lunch date at a noodle house with Izzy, Caca, and Soos, and then during Izzy's and my adventure to Harvard. There in the Harvard bookstore I finally found a quaint little journal to act as my acting journal/storybook, which I admittedly splurged on, but I think it will be worth it. Then before heading back, we got bubble tea (which sucked by the way, and I'm not just being a New Yorker) and traversed back through the Harvard campus. On the way home, Izzy suggested that we explore a new part of Boston every weekend, and I heartily agreed.

And I apologize for the abrupt ending, but afterward I met up with my cousin to do math homework, ran into Caca and ate with her for dinner, and attended a PHE meeting before heading back to my dorm to do work.

Which unfortunately is a lot, thanks to my busy busy weekend.

But it was definitely worth it.

No comments: