Thursday, November 13, 2008

Heightened Ego

Sorry for being MIA the past week. I just had so much work to do last week and some of it carried into the beginning of this one.

But anyway... I could tell you about how I didn't go to class on Friday or how I completely bombed my Physics quiz yesterday... but alas! I actually have something better to talk about.

So I had dinner with a couple friends tonight. I really only planned to eat with Caca but I ran into another girl I knew and her friend in the dining hall, so we all just decided to sit with each other.

The four of us introduced ourselves to whomever the unknown party was and started to have a conversation. Class registration is coming up, so we were talking about that for a bit. Caca asked my other friend what she was majoring in and she said English. Caca, in excitement, points to me with her fork and says between bites, "Oh! You two are doing the same thing!" I smile because my other friend and I have already established this previously. My friend, however, gives only a half-smile and quietly mentions, "Yeah, but I did it first. You were a physics major."

I force a laugh. Then to console her, I tell her not to worry and that instead of double majoring in journalism (as she plans to), I was hoping to do so in film. She forces a chuckle and the conversation moves on.

This wouldn't have bothered me as much if it wasn't the second time that happened. The first time occurred about a month ago or so when we were eating lunch together. At the time, I was ecstatic. I had just straightened out the mess I had gotten into and figured out what I might be doing with my life. I told her excitedly that I was thinking of majoring in English.

"Oh! That's what I'm doing..."

Then I told her about how I might BUCOP (double major in a different school) with the School of Communication and how I was happy because my future was open to me again, meaning I could study abroad, relearn french...

Then she says with that half-smile, "Hey... you're becoming me..."

I think I chuckled at this even though I was slightly offended--I'd like to think I'm above imitation--but I'm certain that she was feeling defensive. After all, I can understand where she's coming from. Valedictorian of her class, a Trustee Scholar at BU (meaning she's here on a full ride), she's smart, competitive, and--like me--probably enjoys being the first and best in everything.

Except I'd like to think I'm better at hiding that unattractive trait.

Still, it's funny to see how people act. And of course, I'm still going to go on doing my own thing, regardless of what anyone else says.

No comments: