Monday, July 7, 2008

Woes of the Workplace

So I just got through my first summer session day of work today and I must say that it was pretty bad. In fact, my concerns about just working four weeks this summer were definitely obliterated within the first hour, and I suddenly found myself thanking God that I wouldn't have to work there even more...

THE INSTRUCTOR: So I received early word of the instructor whose class I would be prepping for this week, and heard that she's a teacher who used to work at the place years ago when interns were a lot more er... diligent. Not that I'm not diligent or responsible, but I do mind it when someone orders me to do something as opposed to at least kindly asking me to do it. And worst of all, it was all random crap too! "I need this place clear!!" "Take this and pour it." "Go around and put these away." "Can you sharpen these pencils?" "Can you get me some lotion?" "Can you sit with the kids while they watch a movie... because I'm not going to sit in there myself!" ... OKAY, I get it that I'm an intern and she's an instructor, and that I'm supposed to be taking care of the class, and that this is how a normal workforce would be and probably even worse in the real world, but I'm an intern, not her servant, not her slave, not her bitch! Oh, and the fact that she's apparently really good friends with the Director (AKA the big boss) doesn't make me feel any better about the situation.

THE CLASS: So this morning I had the "pleasure" of meeting three very special children: the instructor's son, the Director's younger son, and the son of another researcher at the main lab. So basically, if you didn't already speak the lingo of the working world, that essentially translates to "special treatment all around!" While the Director's son and the researcher's son were actually quite normal and didn't subconsciously demand special attention (in fact they're both rather adorable once you put aside the parent-has-connections-and-can- immediately-get-me-fired aspect of their presence), I can't really say the same for the instructor's son. Seriously, the kid has a serious superiority complex, not that I expected any less from the son of the woman like the instructor. Maybe he's just naturally curious and really into science, but he was REALLY taking advantage of the fact that his mother was the teacher. He just kept... touching EVERYTHING and going up to the instructor's bench and showing off these things to his lab partner... not to mention that he couldn't even sit still when his mom was teaching! I really didn't know what to do when he kept asking if he could help us with things or if he can keep things... His mother let him keep his microscope slides, and those things are made of glass! Actually, he even dropped them outside the classroom at the end of the day and I had to help him pick them up because I was afraid that the kids would cut themselves on the broken glass! Ugh, and I feel so conflicted because I hate giving kids special treatment, especially after growing up with that type of kid during my secondary education and feeling so cheated out of so many things, but what am I supposed to do when his mother is standing right there? Yell at him? Tell him no?

THE PARTNER: Just my luck too that I'm working with one of the least diligent interns in the lab under a teacher who expects the most diligent interns in the lab. While I was surprised to see her actually doing what she's supposed to be doing today, I wonder how long that's going to last. While I may sound cruel doubting my coworker, my worries do not exist unwarranted.

THE INTERNS: So honestly, I like a lot of the interns; they're all nice and everything. But one day on the job of the summer session, and I already know way too much about my coworkers than I really needed to know. Seriously, I don't think I have ever been in such close proximity to such a corrupt bunch of people. How are they corrupt, you ask? Well let's see, it's not that I'm against drinking or premarital sex, but COME ON. One of them is only fifteen! I mean, I really don't mind drinking at all as long as people are able to stop themselves from doing things that are incredibly stupid, but they're minors or they were minors and they've had sex how many times? Seriously, does the classification of "whore" even exist anymore? If it does, it seems like it's something that's to be achieved! Worst of all, they were all (stupid FatMan included) trying to break one of the new interns by asking him things like what his fetish was and playing "Never Have I Ever." Seriously, we already found out that one new intern was promiscuous; it would have killed me to find out that this one was corrupt too! Oh where is the world coming to? I miss the old interns... While I'm sure they were pretty corrupt too, they at least kept it to themselves!

Ugh, and sometimes I wonder if this is why I don't get along too well with everyone. Well, at least I have the more virtuous interns to relate to... even if the others seem to treat that like a bad thing... which is so wrong in itself.

How am I going to get through this summer?

No comments: