Tuesday, July 8, 2008

This Thing...

So I just had the living daylights scared out of me... See, I'm wearing this shirt dress with these plastic buttons going down the front, and because they're plastic when they knock into things they make a clicking noise. So for example, at work, when I'm walking around with my plastic ID card on a lanyard around my neck, it does generate a somewhat steady clicking noise with each step I take.

So I just came back from my piano lesson, and as I'm walking into my house I hear a very clear, constant clicking noise. And for a moment, I'm thinking about how that's the sound my ID makes when I walk, but then I realize that of course, I'm no longer wearing my ID or the necklace I was wearing earlier.

I look down, and go to undo the belt I had cinching the shirt dress around my waist. The clicking noise gets louder as I pull the belt away from my body. I think I've solved the problem when I then ask myself, "But how can my belt be making that sound?"

Slowly approaching the conclusion, I slowly move my hand toward my waistline and feel a small lump under my shirt dress, pulsing slightly with every click.

Then I panicked.

I run back into my kitchen and start screaming and jumping up and down. My dad doesn't see anything and thinks that it's actually nothing, but when I finally manage to undo enough of my shirt dress, I look down and realize that a HUGE black thing is already up my chest and making its way up to my neck.

At which point I just screamed and jumped up and down more violently than before.

It eventually flew off or fell off, that beetle or whatever the hell it was... but the worst part is that I don't actually know where it went, so for the rest of the night I'm going to be remaining pretty paranoid.

Ugh, I must have lost 2 years of my life right there.

Speaking of little life-suckers though, my instructor at work is being her pushy self as expected, and her son is creating a royal mess in the back of the classroom.

"I need you two to help them!"

"Can you two just... clean up or something!"

"Can one of you tell my son to stop doing what he's doing and pay attention now?"

"I need ice!" (So I get the ice in a cooler.) "What! How are the kids supposed to get ice out of this! Whatever! I'm just going to have to do it for them!"

Okay, number one: We're there to help her help the kids, not do her job. Number two: Interns don't clean everything. The children are responsible for their bit of cleaning too. Number three: It's HER freaking son. SHE is the mother. SHE should act like one. And if it bothers her so much that her son doesn't pay attention then SHE shouldn't let him be playing with things he shouldn't be playing with in the first place. And number four: Don't freaking complain when you send me to run an errand last minute and without any details and about something as insignificant as ice!

And that annoying brat of hers keeps stealing microscope slides and cover slips and other lab materials. I understand that his mother is the teacher, but those glass slides and slips are obviously extremely fragile and those supplies are paid for by grant money and belong to the lab! Plus, it's not actually her classroom she's teaching in, and therefore those supplies aren't actually hers to give away! Not to mention that he got methylene blue (a dye used to make specimens more defined under a microscope) ALL OVER THE DAMN TABLE AND FLOOR, and naturally that dye does NOT come off easily, even on the lab tables. Why his mother thought it permissible to allow him the whole tube of methylene blue when no student should be handling that is beyond me, but all I knew was that my partner and I were not going to clean that up.

In fact, we ended up showing another instructor what the kid did, and she said she'd talk to his mother tomorrow. She regrettably told us that we couldn't leave it a mess though as much as we wanted to show his mother as proof, although when she told another instructor (who also doubles as our intern manager), she told me that she understood and agreed that I really shouldn't have to clean up the mess the boy left behind. Of course, with literally all the interns helping out though, everything was cleaned up in no time, which I admit was a nice feeling, having everyone work together like that...

Aside from the woman and her son though, everything else seems to be getting better a little bit at a time. I feel a little tension, but that might just be my suspicions and thoughts running wild.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Creepy crawly clicker? Not cool. I had that happen to me back at CTY where a cockroach was just hanging out on the back of my shirt. Someone pointed it out to me on the lunch line, and I think I was in so much shock that I calmly just asked them to swat it away with their tray.

*mourns the lives you have lost*