Friday, May 23, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull


For lack of a better word, this was definitely one of the most action-iest movies I've seen in a long time. And even though there were plenty of times Indy and his crew went through things no human being could possibly survive through, I must admit that it was pretty damn entertaining.

Now, I'm reviewing this as a general viewer, as I've never quite seen the original Indiana Jones movies so I don't know how this film compares with those original blockbusters. In fact, there were some references to past films that elicited light laughs from the audience, references I would never have gotten were my movie companion not an Indy fan herself.

As a general viewer, however, I thought the plot was pretty solid and the dialogue and visuals certainly very funny and very entertaining. While the story mixed legends with conspiracy theories (leading into a genre I'm not very fond of), I thought the writers did an excellent job of piecing things together and making the plot rather believable (to the extent conspiracy theories can be believed though of course). As for the dialogue and tone of the characters, their conversations with each other were hilarious. It wasn't anything too witty, but it certainly did have that old classic humor any viewer at any age would love. Also, the visuals sparked plenty of laughs themselves, and even when they didn't, they still proved fantastic eye candy, delicious and succulent and at times even over-the-top... but still in a good way of course.

The characters were lovable as always. Indy (the great Harrison Ford), with his trademark fedora and bullwhip, has still got that charm (not to mention stamina!) even though he's reached senior citizen status. According to my companion, his character is a bit different now that he's older, but good wine acquires better taste as it ages, and his attitude is still very appropriate and very himself. Can't say much about Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen), but from what I've read she's still got that spunk and sunny smile that I can attest to seeing. The talented Shia LaBeouf makes another great appearance in film, this time as the hilarious but rather talented Mutt Williams, a boy who seeks out Indy on behalf of his mother. (Oh, and the rumors? Yeah, no surprise there.) The shape-shifting Cate Blanchett also plays Irina Spalko, the crazy Colonel-Doctor and main antagonist of this Indy movie who is relatively badass in her own right.

Anyway, to sum it up, it was a marvelous movie with fantastic special effects but the same old characters. The plot was solid and the humor abundant in this latest installment, sure to please nearly any moviegoer who is looking for a little adventure in their lives (or two hours of it at least). While my Indy-fan friends did enjoy it, I can't personally claim that fans of the originals will love it. But again, as a general viewer, it was a very satisfying movie that pleased both the eyes and the mind.

Oh, the barely-veiled, little moral-of-the-story line at the end was super-corny though. Other than that, it was pretty kickass.

Rating: 5/5

Picture copyright (c) Paramount Pictures (I think) and etc.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good review, and I love that it comes from someone who hasn't seen the original movies, because I admittedly haven't either XD .