Saturday, December 15, 2007

Pebble

I'm not as great as everyone thinks. As much as I'd like them to think that I am, I'm really not.

"Don't worry! You'll get in!"

"Someone as smart as you... it shouldn't be a problem!"

"Pfft... oh please. What have you got to worry about?"

Then the result.

"I can't believe someone like you didn't get in right away!"

"If you didn't get in, I don't see how anybody could!"

"How could they not accept you?"

Easy.

When the university you think epitomizes and lauds the idea of being a well-rounded person decides not to accept you, you begin to wonder what went wrong.

Could it be that I'm not well-rounded enough?

No. Rather, I think I'm too well-rounded.

Indeed, I think I've attempted to cover more areas than I perhaps should have. It is not to say that my involvement in things have been shallow, but like water with no cracks to seep into, I've become an unexceptional puddle that remains stagnant and immobile.

Even if I cannot be considered immobile, I shall then be compared to a stone that has been tossed around by the waves, my edges smoothed so that my faces become indistinguishable. This is opposed to the rocky land, which instead dictates the path of the river or stream that attempts to carve it, that fails and consequently makes the rocky land seem only greater.

And in the end, I've become a pebble on a planet of rocks. And instead of being the canyon or the gorge or the mountain or the cliff, I've become a faceless part of existence, good at everything, but not good enough. I am everything, yet at the same time, I am nothing.

Carve me into something great.

Small and nondescript, lost in this world with endless hope... so the pebble goes, towards destiny, floating on forever more.

No comments: