Sunday, September 16, 2007

College Trip 2

Okay, so I'm back from my second trip to New England, which was pretty nice, though my expectations were exceeded and crushed many times along the way...

FERRY: Well, not a college (to my knowledge), but a leg of the trip nonetheless. I took the Ferry to Bridgeport, Connecticut to continue my trip from there. I ended up leaving the house too late though and by the time I got to Port Jefferson the 9:00 one (9:30 for the day due to some apparent problems) was already full. So I ended up having to wait until 10:30 to finally depart, and by this point, my mind was once again split over the idea of relaxing and the fact that I might not make the information session at 2 for Brown. Well, we got to Bridgeport around 11:45, and for your knowledge it takes a little over 2 hours to get to Providence.

BROWN: But hooray, we actually made it (well, just barely anyway). Actually, I think that if the GPS didn't take us to the wrong location, we might have made it there a bit earlier, but we made it nonetheless (maybe a minute or two late to be precise), and I was glad. An hour later, we went on a tour, and let me just say that it was very, very nice. Our tour guide was entertaining in an natural/unintentional sort of way too, so it was pretty fun. It definitely moved up on my list of most desired colleges, and this is definitely one college that met and exceeded my expectations.

BOSTON: Again, I'm not talking about colleges, but going to Boston gave me a chance to meet up with my cousin who I haven't seen in a couple of months (which is actually pretty good considering how not often we see each other). We had dinner at Uno's, but after the appetizer and some (what better have been) authentic New England Clam Chowder, I was full before the main course came.

TUFTS: So anyway, I visited Tufts the next morning, but I realized in the information session that it wasn't really what I was looking for so I skipped out on the tour. The campus and everyone on it seem pretty nice though, so if you're into International Relations I highly suggest you take a look at it.

BU: Well, next I went to Boston University, which met my expectations... period. In other words, it's got the opportunity, people, and convenience, but I'm not too sure how much I'd like having the city as my immediate campus. But I suppose that if I really had to (and chances are, I won't because my parents aren't too keen on paying for anything other than a SUNY or an Ivy), I could deal.

Boston itself was a bit disappointing though (not quite what I imagined as a quaint little "College Town"). The streets suck (navigating was hard enough with the GPS) and there seems to be construction everywhere so I'm not too sure how I feel about it. Oh, and after coming back home to New York, I can't help but say this (sorry, Bostonians, but...):

You call that a city? New York kicks Boston's butt any day.

No comments: