Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Chance of Rain

Yeah, so Wednesday the 19th was supposed to be a really simple, easy day. It would be the day that I finished my "legitimate" classes after 10:30, and I was supposed to have only practice after school.

So since I desperately need to meet with my grad student to discuss my project, I scheduled a meeting with her during school that day. I said the earliest I could be there was 11, and that I had to leave by 2, though I could stay a little longer if I had to.

But no, apparently, my life's not allowed to work out so perfectly. See, it rained yesterday, the day of one of my tennis matches, so guess what? It got rescheduled for the next available date, which is - you guessed it! - Wednesday the 19th. Not only that, but it's away at the opposing school too, so there's absolutely no room for tardiness (and I'm wondering if getting back at 2:30 is already cutting it too close).

Oh, but that's not all! I get a confirmation via e-mail saying that our little meeting is now set in stone as long as nothing comes up. Now, this could be a good and bad thing, because I really did need to meet with her, though now I was locked in a very scripted schedule. However, the next real problem is that I got another e-mail, this time from the intern director at the lab I originally worked at, and she's telling me that there's a mandatory safety meeting all the interns need to attend. Oh, and you bet it's on Wednesday the 19th! Because what other date could possibly be better than that?

Yes, so I checked the weather, and there's a very, very slim chance of rain. I can handle the meeting, that's no problem, but what consequences lie ahead for choosing a moment of glory over a somewhat long-term commitment I have no idea. Of course, the decision I'm making isn't the selfish one as I am doing it because we actually have a shot of winning League Champs this year and I know the team depends on me. However, I can't help but wonder how this will impact my future at the lab, and as of this moment I'm rather hesitant to find out.

Ha... and I'm already missing the mandatory intern meeting on Friday. Oh, woe is me.

No comments: