Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Ominous Admonitions

Today made me think that this was going to be a long summer...

So it was my first day at Stony Brook. I woke up tired, weary, not refreshed at all, and already, due to my failure to find a mere morsel of breakfast in my house, I had already decided that I couldn't wait until lunch. Then I realized lunch would probably suck too (see below) and decided that if I were to look forward to something, it would have to be coming home to sleep.

When I got there, it wasn't so bad (at first anyway). Got off the bus, walked with friends, got breakfast... oh, except my muffin was kind of gross. Hm, whatever. Then the three of us all proceeded to our separate labs, and I had one hell of a time (but not as bad as last time) trying to find this mysterious floor in this specific tower that may have as well been magically hidden. I guess it must be a separate part of the tower because it wasn't on the ninth floor of Tower A, but it isn't a part of Tower B either, and yes, there are only two towers (or maybe not).

Then when I got there I shadowed someone a bit, which wasn't bad. But then this... juvenile crew (whom due to my rather quirky attitude right now I shall henceforth refer to as the j. crew) appeared. In all honesty, by the way they acted and presented themselves I knew that they couldn't be college kids (or even older than me!), but after having bypassed the lab's relatively recent "no high school kids" attitude (and only through a connection), I didn't think that they could possibly be high school kids too. Oh, but I was terribly mistaken. (In fact, they were younger than me.)

I thought things might get better when I saw two girls stroll in. Both had just graduated, and I thought that maybe, just maybe, these girls were mature enough for me to befriend them. Oh, but again, I was mistaken. Not that they were immature, but they were so... girly. Ugh... so there I was, as I usually find myself, stuck between two worlds, which is actually the reason why lunch more or less sucked.

See, the professor ordered pizza for us (for which I was grateful), but as a result, I had to eat lunch with these new people. I thought it would be a good experience, but they were already so... cliquey. In fact, they started out as cliques! The j. crew laughed together (about somewhat... unintelligent things) and the two girls kept to themselves. Then there was me without a conversation to join or a place to be. I ended up just listening to the undergrads talk.

Thank god that I was allowed to escape the post-lunch session though, and spend it shadowing again. Somehow, I find it ironic and sad that I'm more comfortable with the undergrads than with the high school students. I guess this is what I get for complaining that I'm working (so I had thought) with only college kids this summer. Right then though, I couldn't be more grateful that they were there.

After things were done though, I was left with really nothing to do. So I just tried to write a bit, and then when I got tired, I put my head down on a desk and fell asleep for a half an hour to an hour or so. Then I met up with my friends and finally headed home.

Sigh... I don't really think every day of my summer will always be like this, but to be completely honest, I just hope I don't regret this.

No comments: