Thursday, February 12, 2009

Unbridled Joy

For starters, I know I've been neglecting the blog a bit, but I've just been so busy with work and the FreeP and such (plus I've been taking care of my sick cousin the past week). Believe me--I am not staying up until 4 AM every night on my own volition.

But that said, I feel the need to report that I must have looked like a total idiot today because I couldn't stop smiling as I was walking. I don't really know what or why it is (or maybe I do have a slight idea, just saying), but for the past week I've just been so extremely... happy.

I'm thinking the weather is playing a HUGE role (it's been above freezing for how many days now?). I went out with just a sweatshirt on Sunday and Wednesday felt like spring. Today was a windy and somewhat rainy day, but it was still warm apart from the wind, and I think I even started to feel a bit nostalgic or inspired or something along those lines--it was refreshing.

(On a side note, I also got to wear this somewhat-fluorescent light yellow cardigan that I've been saving literally for a rainy day. Don't mind my narcissism, but I admit that I felt quite special standing out against the usual winter palette, not to mention strangely optimistic too.)

Class has been going well. In anthropology, history, and math, I admit I'm kind of just skirting by with however little work I can manage, but I really love my English class (the class and the people) and I really find my acting class (especially the people) to be so much fun.

I can't stop smiling about last Sunday when for our drama assignment three of us met outside the Kenmore Classroom Building to do our "repetition game." Basically the game consists of making observations and having the two people repeat what the other person has said from his or her point of view, and then all this eventually takes on the tone and feel of a conversation (so it always changes depending on the people it involves). Example:

1: "You're smiling."
2: "I'm smiling?"
1: "You're smiling."
2: "You're laughing."
1: "I'm laughing."
2: "You're laughing!"
1: "I'm laughing!"

And so on and so forth... It's hard to explain concisely. If you don't get it, it's not important, but anyway, we had to do this while trying to achieve an objective and by employing various tactics. For example, my objective was to get the other person to be concerned about me, and so the tactics I used was to act distant, not make eye contact, etc. My charming classmate, however, decided that his objective was to get both my hands out of my pockets, and proceeded to carry out a variety of tactics, which included scaring me, shouting at me, and even flirting with me! Forget about what strange things we were already shouting out for everyone walking along Comm. Ave. to hear--by that point I was thoroughly embarrassed. But I admit that it was incredibly funny, and honestly, I have to say that I actually really quite enjoyed it.

As for my English class, everyone is so wonderful and nice. I've never had a class before where everyone gets along so well with everyone else. Speaking of which, I was talking to one of the News Assignment people at the FreeP tonight and she was telling us how in her philosophy class she asked the girl next to her about a point her professor made, and the girl said something along the lines of "I don't share notes with lazy ass people who can't take notes for themselves." How despicable! It's times like that I wish karma existed to strike down people who deserve it... Seriously, even though that's probably an extreme case, this is one reason why I'm glad I'm not pre-med or even a science major anymore.

But anyway, back to my English class, I really find our discussions quite enjoyable. It's funny too how I've also established this thing with a few of my classmates where we automatically glance at each other and smile across the conference table when something funny occurs. It happens naturally and all the time. I love it.

We're also reading Pride and Prejudice at the moment, which I would think is influencing my feelings were I actually reading it instead of skimming it and relying on my memory of the book to carry me through class. Still, I find the relationship between Lizzy and Darcy to be quite tantalizing. This apparently makes sense too since, as my professor notes, the cleverly-written book is highly erotic (cue the glances and giggles).

Ah, what fun. And I've got a great week coming up. I'm heading to Sargent Center again this weekend, this time to go cross country skiing and snowshoeing! I'll be back Sunday afternoon, meaning I'll still have time to enjoy the weekend (or do work, depending on how responsible I feel). Then next week, as much as I actually like my classes, Tuesday runs on a Monday schedule and both my discussions are cancelled, meaning I have my usual four classes on Thursday but only one one-hour class on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday! And I don't even have to teach next Friday. What luck!

Because of my necessity to think that all these good events must be balanced by bad events, part of me is somewhat-jokingly dreading what has yet to come. But I guess in the end, I'm not too concerned. I'm just so thankful for everything that's happened lately. Maybe the universe just decided to randomly give me a break.

Thank you, Universe!

Oh, and I almost forgot; I found this article very touching:

40 years' worth of thanks

No comments: