Saturday, April 26, 2008

I'd Rather Have A Life

Elite Korean Schools, Forging Ivy League Skills

As annoying as it is to think that these precious Ivy spots are being taken up by international students who have gone through educational boot camp, I can't be more grateful for the life I have now. That's not to say I'm no longer bitter over the feeling of working so hard and not getting exactly what I wanted in return, but if I may borrow words from Candide, and this isn't blind optimism, perhaps "all is for the best"... really.

I can't read that article without cringing and shaking my head. Where's the happiness? Honestly. To be trained like that is so inhumane. To think that it's okay to sacrifice sleep and health for study is wrong. To think that it's okay to put aside the heart's inclinations is wrong. To think that it's okay to never have a chance to breathe and look back and absorb life experiences is wrong.

But I do believe that all is for the best. I'm college-bound and my hard work has paid off (quite literally actually), as it's the scholarship I earned that is allowing me to attend an institution I love as opposed to the state school that may not be for me. I'll have fun at BU, and you know what? I'm going to have a life.

And that's a lesson they will never learn.

No comments: