Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tears and Fears

Oh no! Not ANOTHER 1 AM post! Well, I sort of just woke up about 45 minutes ago, so this is going to have to do...

Tears and Fears

Sent to me by FatMan, and I'm glad he did because I'm glad someone actually addresses this on a wider scale.

"When I think of the way Eleanor Roosevelt was attacked, Geraldine Ferraro was attacked, Bella Abzug was attacked, Nancy Pelosi is attacked, Hillary is attacked, I wonder. I hope like hell to be mistaken. I hope gender doesn't matter. I hope race doesn't matter, but I wonder."

My god. First you criticize Hillary for being too stoic, too unhuman, not empathetic enough with the American people. Then she gets teary-eyed, TEARY-EYED, and the media blows it up and turns it into "Hillary's Breakdown." Even to say that she cried would be an exaggeration. But how absurd can they get?

Hillary's not allowed to get teary-eyed because she's a woman? After blaming her for failing to show any emotion, you're going to call her out and say that she played "the woman's card" merely because for once, she showed you how she was feeling (without even going so far as to cry)? And who cares if it was calculated or not? If anything, she gave you what the American people wanted! And if Obama did the same, you wouldn't assume it was calculated. Even though he's a man, you wouldn't go so far as to call him a wimp.

Don't go on the "Oh, if she's breaking down now, how is she going to handle being President?" track either. If anything, she's probably put up with the most criticism out of any candidate, Democrat or Republican. Sure, she's the national frontrunner, but it certainly wouldn't be the same if she wasn't a woman. Even though Bill Clinton would probably naturally say it anyway, what he's getting upset about is true. The media bombards Hillary unlike any other candidate. She's under constant scrutiny, and most media coverage is more favorable towards other candidates. It's like they're thinking, "How can we knock Hillary down a few notches?"

I don't care what any politician says about this issue, but politics is a game. You can't expect some newcomer to just come out of nowhere and declare that he's going to change everything when he doesn't even know how hard it will be to actually change things. Words inspire, but it is experience that allows a person to maneuver through the world and make things happen. And don't say that you don't trust Hillary. She's never done anything to make you question her integrity. On the other hand, what has Obama done to earn your faith in him?

Change, change, change... Attach a pretty word to your campaign and suddenly you're the only candidate that can bring it? Instead of telling me what you think you can do, why don't you show me? Prove to me that you'll be this "agent of change" that our government "so desperately" desires.

Look, if you don't like a candidate for their views then that's fine. But don't go dragging in extraneous details that mean nothing. You let things like that get in the way, and there will never be the change that America truly needs.


5 AM EDIT (and no I did not go to bed):

P.S. I find this picture highly amusing (from this opinion article about the "polling mistake" in case you're curious).

No comments: