Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sign of Hope

He came to visit, bundled up in a ski cap with his jacket zipped up to his chin. Not willing to scrutinize, I was not sure it was him, though I learned of his presence when I heard someone else call out his name.

It was curious, for the thought of him had crossed my mind earlier in the day. While in the car, I thought I saw him standing on the sidewalk, although it could not have possibly been him. Therefore, I was certain that it was a matter of pure coincidence.

Though I had wondered why he had never come to visit before. I understood that he left for college, though he was still in the general vicinity. Alas, I did not really care as much anymore since I had lost interest even before the semester ended. As depressing as it sounds, deprived of the future he wanted by events occurring within his own family, he became sullen and joyless, void of the emotions that once kindled my heart.

And it was understandable. Had I been his friend, I would have reassured him, sit beside him as a friend would and be a medium to whom he could pour his emotions out without fear of criticism or judgment. But I was not his friend, and I had no right no interfere. He did not want to impose on others either; I could tell. However, the weight of his burden - no, of his family's burden, that he was forced to carry - emitted an aura that was that strong.

And the year ended without anything happening. He was trying to be happy, though I could almost see the chains that prevented him from pursuing his dreams. Held back from one of his top choice schools (if not his top choice) by concerns for his younger brother and financial issues, reasons that were not his own, the dejection that radiated from his eyes was certainly justified.

But when I saw him, he was smiling, and he was happy. And although my heart no longer twinges at the sound of his laughter, at the sight of his smile, I could not help but smile myself.

For to see him happy, despite everything, is something that gives me hope. And it makes me feel that despite what happens to me, despite what happens to others, despite it all, maybe, just maybe we can all end up happy in the end.

No comments: