Monday, October 8, 2007

Utopia Revealed

Yes, so I finally got the chance to visit the University of Pennsylvania, my first-choice school (don't ask how it was my first choice when I didn't even visit beforehand), and I can't help but say that I'm still in love.

Well, in all honesty, it wasn't all what I was expecting. But on the other hand, when I'm expecting a place to be a manifestation of my imagination and soul, I suppose it's hard to meet those expectations. The campus isn't as close together and centered around a main point as I thought it would be, but aside from that I was very pleased. It's still very pretty, and Locust Walk and the quad are especially nice. More important however, it definitely has the resources I was looking for. The Kelly Writers House (the main hook for me) wasn't as big and bustling with activity as I hoped it would be, though I'm sure it was due to the fact that I visited around 1 PM and not during any scheduled events. The info session I attended did touch upon the Writers House a little bit though, so I did find out a little more about it. But overall, I was very happy, and as I was walking with the autumn leaves falling, I couldn't help but feel my heart ache slightly at the prospect of becoming a student there.

So yes, UPenn remains my first choice school, and the competition is official. To my competitor (or perhaps competitors) at school, if they are really going to take one of us, may the best person win. As strange as it sounds, I believe that if Mr. Franklin wishes me to be a part of his school, he will help guide me along the right path. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to walk on Locust Walk again, and wear the Red and Blue I so desperately desire.

So concludes the college trips. I won't be visiting Stanford or Duke unless I have the misfortune of getting rejected from UPenn but the fortune of getting accepted to one of those schools, and in the case where I have the misfortune of getting rejected from all my schools (and if BU doesn't give me enough money to satisfy my parents), I'll be taking a trip upstate to visit Binghamton and Geneseo.

Wish me luck. I'm applying Early Decision, so I should find out around my birthday. Hopefully I'll have a happy one.

No comments: