Friday, October 26, 2007

Animals

It was dark and silent as I stood outside in the October chill. The warm yellow light of the building beside me contrasted dully with the very gray cloudy sky above, and when I turned my head right and peered inside I assumed that the workers were probably talking amicably with each other.

I flipped my phone open. After a moment, it read 4:30. I wondered if she was coming. Suddenly however, I heard noises from my left, distantly, and as my gaze slowly shifted I saw that three young preteen boys were rowdily working their way towards my direction from the fields. They laughed without breath, and ran haphazardly in no particular pattern. When they were closer, the fastest one made an announcement to his friends and then took extreme pride in his stunt when he managed to jump over a very unassuming bench, backless and certainly less than two feet high. The second followed suit, and a bit later I heard one of the three shout from behind me.

"That almost gave me a heart attack!" the boy panted.

Turning around again, I looked at the speaker and realized that it was the third, who had stopped before the bench. He was rather round and plump and sported a bright blue jacket. Nonetheless, keeping my comments to myself, I turned to face the road again, where I saw that she had arrived and was waiting to turn in.

As I waited however, I had the strange experience of finding a little boy looking up at me from right beside me. "What are you doing?" his friend had asked him with a laugh, and then with my heightened senses, noticing his bright blue jacket out of the corner of my eye I turned abruptly.

I cannot recall whether I was intrigued or utterly appalled by this movement that was most uncalled for. He appeared to be peering into my possessions, and I could not help but think that such actions were only exemplified by dogs, and like a dog who had been caught, he staggered back a foot or two. After a moment passed, straightening himself out a slight bit, his round cheeks bright red from the cold, he then spoke meekly.

"Are there any-- um... are those Munchkins?" Then he pointed to the box I had in my hands.

Pausing for a moment, I replied, "Yes."

"Oooh," he squealed excitedly. "Can I have one?"

Seeing her finally pull up I became even more reluctant and unconcerned, so as his friends sniggered I opened the box and let him take one. Then they, surprised from my response most likely, looked at each other and then shot up from the cold, damp cement they were sitting on and I offered it to them as well.

It quickly turned into chaos though when, to my surprise, the meek, blue-clad boy greedily grabbed another, prompting the others to dart their hands crudely into the paper box and grab what little they could get as well. Like wolves yet much less elegant, they ravaged the box that they tore from my hands. Even as I boarded and told the kind driver where to go, they continued to rip the box from each other's hands, never even caring to say a mere "Thank You."

As I looked out the window from my seat, I saw them laugh at the destruction, half-chewed pieces falling carelessly out of their open mouths, and as we pulled away, the driver's sweet voice propelling a conversation that I was actually quite happy to respond to, I could not help but think that even animals have more manners than that.

No comments: