Thursday, August 16, 2007

Season Finale

I savored the subtly sour sensation of the cold Key Lime cheesecake and cream before me. With another swift scoop, I spooned up another mouthful of the delicious dessert. Across from me however, sat a crumbling cookie dough slice, which was having its walnuts removed by its owner.

We ate. We talked. We laughed.

Then on the way home it was nearly silent, as if the darkness pressed the inevitableness even more so upon our hearts. The bright, white light of the high school billboard enticed my eyes for a moment, though I frowned when I saw that the message, "Have a Happy and Safe Summer," had been taken down.

The season of goodbyes is passing, and we are almost at the end.

Like the winds that bring the clouds and clouds that bring the rain, there is a time for it to come, and there is a time for it to go, and now that time has come.

My last goodbyes are being given and my final farewells are being said, for in a few weeks, they will be enjoying the beginning of a new chapter in their lives, and I will be embracing the welcome of yet another year, embarking on an old adventure, soaking in the crispness of the autumn wind.

"Never say goodbye." So I'll say thank you instead, again and again and again.

Like the winds that bring the clouds and the clouds that bring the rain...

But I suppose that even a rainbow is a transient thing.

No comments: