Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Series of Embarrassing Events

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been so embarrassed, so many times in one day. Though I was more embarrassed due to the quantity of events rather than the quality of them, it added enough to my already unorthodoxly spent day.

You see, I woke up at 8:10 this morning, which cut significantly (and by this, I mean all) the time I would spend going through the usual morning ritual. So I ended up going to the University hastily put together and with my clothes just thrown on, feeling as if I was a student's last minute, five second, crappy little craft project (with some glue still dripping). Oh, and did I mention it was thunderstorming (with tornado watches too... yes, on Long Island, of all places).

Anyway, I think everything went okay in the morning (aside from the lights flickering, the water in the toilets swirling on its own, and then the water not working at all), but starting with lunch, everything just went downhill...

EVENT ONE: See, I called my friends for lunch, and I went down to the fifth floor (where one of them works) to surprise him. But so far, I think I've been more successful looking like a delinquent loiterer than meeting up with him, since somehow, somehow, he always manages to leave his floor before I can get down there (I'm on the ninth). So after ten minutes, I finally called him back and discovered he was already in the cafeteria, so defeated once again I pushed the button to call the elevator.

EVENT TWO: So as I'm waiting, I'm just thinking as I usually do about how awkward it would be if I ran into my grad student or undergrad in the elevator, but I never could have imagined that I would ever run into my professor. So yes, that's exactly what happened, and he asked me in his wise, but happy voice, "So what brings you down to this floor?" and of course I had to sound stupid and tell him of my botched attempt to meet a friend.

EVENT THREE: Then, because I was so embarrassed, I ended up pushing the wrong button (second floor instead of third), despite the fact that I had already told him that I was going to the cafeteria. So then I didn't want to seem stupid and I just took it down the the second floor. Then I switched elevators because I didn't want to accidentally run into my professor again, and when I got out I had no idea where I was.

EVENT FOUR: Then of course I run into my grad student, or rather I ran past my grad student in the cafeteria, not noticing that it was indeed her until after I had passed due to my sheer embarrassment and need to vent to my friend. Then I wasn't sure whether or not to say hello anymore since she was sitting with her friends. Oh, and as I was waiting in line to pay for my lunch, I discovered that my professor was getting lunch too.

EVENT FIVE: Or rather, this is a collection of events, since there were so many random instances after lunch where I just screwed things up in front of my grad student. Also, my undergrad is somewhat just as awkward as I am too so I feel as if I occasionally share in his awkwardness as well. I also discovered that she did notice that I ran past her, and when I explained to her my situation at the time, she told me I needed help.

So yeah, that basically sums up my day. How was yours?

Oh, and while I was reading the NYTimes online (which I seem to be doing everyday at the lab now), I discovered this article titled, "Limiting Ads of Junk Food to Children."

I'm not really into politics/economics, but doesn't this undermine the whole free market, laissez-faire ideology? Not that we practice that wholly nowadays, but this is just insane.

They're planning to restrict commercials that advertise unhealthy snacks so that they can't appear on children channels like Nickelodeon (though they can appear on family channels that may even have more kids watching, which somehow makes me think that this might even be benefiting the companies). They're also planning to cease using certain mascots and trademarked characters, which I don't really understand the point of. I mean, you don't buy Cap'n Crunch because you want to be a pirate.

Deborah Platt Majoras, the chairman of the Federal Trade Commission, called the various pledges “a significant step” and urged more food makers to join the effort. “While changes in food marketing alone will not solve the nation’s childhood obesity problem, these actions will help make a healthy choice the easy choice,” she said in a statement.

Um... yeah, I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty worried if a parent was having trouble with something as simple as not buying sugar-coated cereal for his/her kid every day.

No comments: