Saturday, July 14, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix


Naturally, HP5 was bound to be exposed to a wide spectrum of criticism. I, however, would like to look at this from two different points of view...

AS A FAN: I thought they actually did a relatively good job of including all the important parts. Of course they've sliced up the book, but unlike other fans I can hardly say that they've "butchered" it. It's understandable that they've left so much out, especially with a book that was mainly filled with background information and character development, but to be completely honest, I thought all that filler made the book really boring and annoying in the first place. So I really do believe that there really isn't a reason to be upset. Since the scripts are approved by J.K. Rowling herself anyway, the movie definitely shows the most important bits, and while not as fluid as the book, it gets the job done.

AS A MOVIEGOER: I'm not quite sure if I would have enjoyed it as much were I not [somewhat] familiar with the books though. It's definitely a bit confusing, which is naturally a turnoff. However, the special effects and imagery were absolutely stunning, so if you're in the mood for a bit of nice eye candy I'd definitely go check it out. Director David Yates and the crew did an excellent job interpreting and bringing the fifth book to life, and I'd also like to compliment Composer Nicholas Hooper who adapted to the great John Williams's original score brilliantly. The actors were mostly wonderful as well. Kudos especially goes to Imelda Staunton (Professor Dolores Umbridge) who does an absolutely incredible job inciting hate while managing to remain uncomfortably unfazed, and Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) for recreating her character's insanity flawlessly. Old regulars like Alan Rickman (Professor Snape) were priceless as always, and though some of the kids could still use a bit of work, they're definitely improving (most of them anyway, though that's another, more personal story).

Anyway...

OVERALL: Well, to be honest, I wasn't really feeling these so-called passions these kids (or at least Harry) are supposed to be feeling. Although this is supposed to be the first book that really leads into the final installment, I still feel as if there could have been a bit more closure. Also, though the movie had a few great lines, the movie was also so fast-paced that some of the witticism was probably sent through the ears unheard and unappreciated. Anyway, it just didn't leave me with that "good-movie" feeling. Although it did successfully remind me of why and how much I loved Harry Potter a few years back, looking at it as a movie alone, I can only label it satisfactory, and nothing more.

Rating: 3/5

Picture copyright (c) J.K. Rowling/WB/whoever else is involved...

No comments: